The town of Terry is located on Interstate 55 in Hinds County, Mississippi, about 15 miles southwest of the capital city of Jackson. It is in Hinds County Supervisor’s District Five. The area that would eventually become known as “Terry” was first settled in 1811 by settlers from Virginia. In 1867, the Town of Terry was established when the railroad was built through the area.
Perhaps one of the most notable efforts of modern times in the reclamation of the Terry Depot. The Depot was built by the Illinois Central Railroad in the early 1880s and was moved from Terry to Parham Bridges Park in Jackson in the 1950s. A group called the Friends of Terry was formed whose mission, among others, was the reclamation of the Terry Depot. In the early 1990s, the Friends of Terry, with the assistance of the Hinds County Board of Supervisors, were successful in bringing the depot building back to Terry. The Friends of Terry have conducted a number of fundraising efforts toward the continued restoration of the depot to its original splendor.